Re: Proposal for GSoC : ADJ dashboard (Administration related software)

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Proposal for GSoC : ADJ dashboard (Administration related software)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Apr 14, 2011, at 1:45 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Erdinc Akkaya <hz.root@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Project Title: ADJ Dashboard
>> Name : Erdinc AKKAYA
>> Email: erdinc.akkaya@gmail.com
>>
>> Synopsis
>> AnyDBJSP is a database monitoring and reporting solution with a browser
>> based
>> interface. ADJ dashboard mainly will be written for database admins(DBA).
>> This tool will have pre-defined sql queries. In addition to these, DBA can
>> write his/her own sql query and report structure easy. Similar projects are,
>> EnterpiseDB's dashboard, cybertec's pgwatch (www.cybertec.at).
>>
>> Benefits to the PostgreSQL Community
>> All the sql queries are stored in xml files. these xml files can be updated
>> easy, with contribution of community this xml file can grow easyly and at
>> the end
>> community will have a strong database monitoring tool. Query xml files will
>> be
>> published on web(like wiki pages) and everyone can easy design his/her own
>> monitoring tool easyly.
>>
>> Other adventage is, after a time, community will have a strong sql queries
>> that
>> monitors databases so if someone wants to study on postgresql database
>> administration
>> ADJ dashboard will be a good tool to start.
>
> I think it would be a lot more useful to pick one of the existing
> adminstration tools for PostgreSQL and work on improving it, rather
> than trying to create a whole new one.

It doesn't sound like he's creating a new tool, just adding support for an existing one. And any shops that run more
thanone RDBMS would certainly be interested in a tool that can monitor more than one brand of RDBMS.

I think a better question is: just how large is the ADJ community, or how many folks would actually use PG support in
ADJ?
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim@nasby.net