Re: Name for new VACUUM

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Name for new VACUUM
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
mlw <markw@mohawksoft.com> writes:
> Why rename VACUUM, why not create a new command RECLAIM, or something like
> that. RECLAIM does the VACUUM NOLOCK, while vacuum does the locking.

Um, that gets the default backwards IMHO, where "default" = "what
existing scripts will do".

> The term RECLAIM will make more sense to new comers than VACUUM,

What's your basis for claiming that?

In any case, VACUUM is the term already used in all our documentation.
I have no appetite for trying to teach people and documents that
currently know "you must do VACUUM periodically" that the new truth is
"you must do VACUUM or RECLAIM periodically".  All these discussions
about which should be default aside, the bottom line is that the two
pieces of code do more-or-less the same thing from a high level
perspective.  Calling them completely different names isn't going to
make things easier for novices.  Calling them different options of the
same statement seems like the right thing to me.