Re: Locking question

От rob stone
Тема Re: Locking question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 2016-10-26 at 12:18 +0200, Frank Millman wrote:

> [...]

Hello Frank,

Stock on-hand quantity = goods inwards  +
                         goods returned from customers -
                         goods invoiced  -
                         goods returned to suppliers due to defects.

Available stock quantity = stock on-hand -
                           goods ordered.

The hassle you have in a multi-user environment is when User "A" takes
an order from Customer "A" for Product "A" and at the same time User
"B" takes an order from Customer "B" also for Product "A".
Both users will quote the same value for quantity available (or
quantity on-hand if you don't keep track of orders).
Most companies rank their customers according to internal policy. For
example, customers who pay their bills late could be given a lower rank
than those that pay on time. Some customers won't accept partial
deliveries. Etc.
So, if you just take orders you can run a batch process to convert
orders into invoices and read your orders according to customer ranking
criteria.
By running a batch process, with a suitable "locking" mechanism to
avoid the process being run twice at the same time, the maintenance of
stock on-hand quantities is run in a single instance, you won't over
ship and it won't become negative.

I think this method will work on all three databases cited.

HTH,
Rob