Re: B-Tree support function number 3 (strxfrm() optimization)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: B-Tree support function number 3 (strxfrm() optimization)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> writes:
> ... In any case it's pretty clear that a goal of
> the glibc implementation is to concentrate as much entropy as possible
> into the first part of the string, and that's the important point.
> This makes perfect sense, and is why I was so incredulous about the
> Mac behavior.

I think this may be another facet of something we were already aware of,
which is that the UTF8 locales on OS X pretty much suck.  It's fairly
clear that Apple has put no effort into achieving more than minimal
standards compliance for those.  Sorting doesn't work as expected in
those locales, for example.

Still, that's reality, and any proposal to rely on strxfrm is going to
have to deal with it :-(