Re: Proof of concept COLLATE support with patch

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Proof of concept COLLATE support with patch
Дата
Re: Proof of concept COLLATE support with patch  (Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> I still doesn't get where the hostility towards this functionality comes from.

We're not really willing to say "here is a piece of syntax REQUIRED
BY THE SQL SPEC which we only support on some platforms".  readline,
O_DIRECT, and the like are a completely inappropriate analogy, because
those are inherently platform-dependent (and not in the spec).

The objection is fundamentally that a platform-specific implementation
cannot be our long-term goal, and so expending effort on creating one
seems like a diversion.  If there were a plan put forward showing how
this is just a useful way-station, and we could see how we'd later get
rid of the glibc dependency without throwing away the work already done,
then it would be a different story.