Re: Keepalive for max_standby_delay

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Keepalive for max_standby_delay
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 03/07/10 18:32, Tom Lane wrote:
>> That would not do what you want at all in the case where you're
>> recovering from archive --- XLogReceiptTime would never advance
>> at all for the duration of the recovery.

> Do you mean when using something like pg_standby, which does the waiting
> itself?

No, I'm thinking about recovery starting from an old base backup, or any
situation where you're trying to process a significant number of
archived WAL segments as quickly as possible.

>> It might be useful if you knew that it was a standby-with-log-shipping
>> situation, but we have no way to tell the difference.

> With pg_standby etc. you use standby_mode=off. Same with traditional
> archive recovery. In standby mode, it's on.

Uh, no, that parameter is not what I'm talking about.  What I tried to
say is that if you're using log shipping for replication instead of
walsender/walreceiver, you might want to treat data as live even though
the database thinks it is being pulled "from archive".  But we'd need
a way for the database to tell the cases apart ... right now it cannot.