Re: HOT line pointer bloat and PageRepairFragmentation

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: HOT line pointer bloat and PageRepairFragmentation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Pavan Deolasee" <pavan.deolasee@gmail.com> writes:
> How about passing a boolean to PageRepairFragmentation to
> command it to reclaim unused line pointers ?

The difficulty with this is having to be 100% confident that noplace in
the system tries to dereference a TID without checking that the line
number (offset) is within range.  At one time that was demonstrably
not so.  I think we've cleaned up most if not all such places, but
I wouldn't want to swear to it.

I'm not convinced it's worth taking any risk for.