Re: Getting Started section

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Getting Started section
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Maciek Sakrejda <m.sakrejda@gmail.com> writes:
> I just spent some time helping a former colleague work out some basic setup
> issues after he got stuck trying to follow the Getting Started section of
> the manual [1] and almost gave up. For what it's worth, he's very
> technical, but does not deal with Postgres setup regularly.
> Obviously this is not a solution for everyone, but I think packaging is
> more common and more standardized these days, and administrators who may
> have set up Postgres for you and can help you get started are less common.

Agreed, but I should think that properly packaged versions of Postgres
will come with some package-specific instructions.  Is that missing
in Debian's version, or out of date, or did he just not read it?

It might not be a bad thing for us to add some text near the head of
"Getting Started" pointing out that it's meant for manual installations,
and encouraging people to look to package-specific docs when present.