Re: [INTERFACES] Some needed features in postgresql

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [INTERFACES] Some needed features in postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
Peter Garner <peter_garner@yahoo.com> writes:
> 1.  Does postgres support the minus operator.  It does
> not seem that I can query :

> select text_field from table_1
> minus
> select text_field from table_2

The standard-approved spelling is "EXCEPT", and support for it is new in
6.5.  It could probably use some more beta testing, so please try it...

> 2.  Is there any work being done on the fact that
> transactions are aborted when an error occurs?  It
> really lessens the usefulness of the product when,
> after adding 20,000 records, the transaction aborts
> because the 20,001th record is a dup key! :-)

I've griped about that myself in the past, but it's not real
clear how else it ought to work.  Maybe you should be using
smaller transactions ;-)

> Please accept my apologies if this should have gone
> to the hackers list.

I'd say the pgsql-sql list would be the best place for this kind of
question.  It's off-topic for the interfaces list, for certain.