Re: [pgsql-general 2011-1-21:] Are there any projects interested in object functionality? (+ rule bases)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [pgsql-general 2011-1-21:] Are there any projects interested in object functionality? (+ rule bases)
Дата
Re: [pgsql-general 2011-1-21:] Are there any projects interested in object functionality? (+ rule bases)  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> It would help if you were a bit more specific.  Do you mean you want
> to write something like foo.bar(baz) and have that mean call the bar
> method of foo and pass it baz as an argument?

> If so, that'd certainly be possible to implement for purposes of a
> college course, if you're so inclined - after all it's free software -
> but we'd probably not make such a change to core PG, because right now
> that would mean call the function bar in schema baz and pass it foo as
> an argument.  We try not to break people's code to when adding
> nonstandard features.

You would probably have better luck shoehorning in such a feature if the
syntax looked like this:
(foo).bar(baz)

foo being a value of some type that has methods, and bar being a method
name.  Another possibility is
foo->bar(baz)

I agree with Robert's opinion that it'd be unlikely the project would
accept such a patch into core, but if you're mainly interested in it
for research purposes that needn't deter you.