Re: Move cluster to new host, upgraded version

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Move cluster to new host, upgraded version
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 11/11/18 12:51 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Nov 2018, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>
>> pg_dumpall is going to need to run against a Postgres server not just
>> a data directory.
>
> Adrian,
>
>    Of course. Yet it's the data directory that's written to the .sql file.

In order for pg_dumpall to access the data directory the Postgres server
has to be running. In your previous post you said you where going to
upgrade in place, not sure what that means. That seemed to be overkill
and given your posts from a week(?) or so ago, possibly a problem.

>> If both your old and new machines are on the same network, why not just
>> point the 11.1 pg_dumpall(on the new machine) at the 9.5 server
>> running on
>> the old machine?
>
>    The old host is running 10.5. Haven't tried to run an application on one
> host using data on another host. I'll look at which tool will do that.

pg_dump(all) are clients designed to do just that. I and many others do
it all the time. Supply the proper host information and you should be
golden.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Сообщение: Re: Move cluster to new host, upgraded version
Сообщение: Re: Move cluster to new host, upgraded version