Re: Should we get rid of custom_variable_classes altogether?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Should we get rid of custom_variable_classes altogether?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Don't forget that there are usecases for variables under
> custom_variable_classes that aren't actually associated with
> extensions (as general session-shared-variables). Though I guess if it
> was somehow restricted to extensions, those who needed that could just
> rewrap all their code as extensions - though that would make it less
> convenient.

Right.  Getting rid of custom_variable_classes should actually make
those use-cases easier, since it will eliminate a required setup step.

I tried to think of a security argument for keeping the setting, but
couldn't really.  Yeah, not having it will let people clutter their
individual backend's GUC array with lots of useless stuff, but so what?
There's plenty of other ways to run your session out of memory if you're
so inclined.