Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers

От Joshua Berkus
Тема Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
All,

> Never, and that's not true. Heikki was being nice; I wouldn't have
> even
> slogged through it long enough to ask the questions he did before
> kicking it back as unusable. A badly formatted patch makes it
> impossible to evaluate whether the changes from a submission are
> reasonable or not without the reviewer fixing it first.

Then you can say that politely and firmly with direct reference to the problem, rather than making the submitter feel
bad.

"Thank you for taking on testing an idea we've talked about on this list for a long time and not had the energy to
test. However, I'm having a hard time evaluating your patch for a few reasons ...(give reasons).  Would it be possible
foryou to resolve these and resubmit so that I can give the patch a good evaluation?"

... and once *one* person on this list has made such a comment, there is no need for two other hackers to pile on the
reformat-your-patchbandwagon.

Our project has an earned reputation for being rejection-happy curmudgeons.  This is something I heard more than once
atMySQLConf, including from one student who chose to work on Drizzle instead of PostgreSQL for that reason.  I think
thatwe could stand to go out of our way to be helpful to first-time submitters.

That doesn't mean that we have to accept patches mangled by using an IDE designed for Java, and which lack test cases.
However,we can be nice about it.

--
Josh Berkus
Niceness Nazi