Re: DROP TABLESPACE causes panic during recovery

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: DROP TABLESPACE causes panic during recovery
Дата
Re: DROP TABLESPACE causes panic during recovery  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Re: DROP TABLESPACE causes panic during recovery  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Re: DROP TABLESPACE causes panic during recovery  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> Maybe we could avoid removing it until the next checkpoint?  Or is that
> not enough.  Maybe it could stay there forever :/

Part of the problem here is that this code has to serve several
purposes.  We have different scenarios to worry about:
* crash recovery from the most recent checkpoint
* PITR replay over a long interval (many checkpoints)
* recovery in the face of a partially corrupt filesystem

It's the last one that is mostly bothering me at the moment.  I don't
want us to throw away data simply because the filesystem forgot an
inode.  Yeah, we might not have enough data in the WAL log to completely
reconstruct a table, but we should push out what we do have, *not* toss
it into the bit bucket.

In the first case (straight crash recovery) I think it is true that any
reference to a missing file is a reference to a file that will get
deleted before recovery finishes.  But I don't think that holds for PITR
(we might be asked to stop short of where the table gets deleted) nor
for the case where there's been filesystem damage.