Re: Recommended approach for upgrading DBs with nonmatching encodings

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Recommended approach for upgrading DBs with nonmatching encodings
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Martin Pitt <martin@piware.de> writes:
> BTW, many people seem to run the server under C and use different
> encodings in their DBs (latin, UTF8). Shouldn't that cause similar
> problems with collation, data type checking (ischar(), etc.)? What do
> you recommend should the upgrade script do if it encounters an 8.[12]
> server running under C?

Yeah, C locale will work with any encoding, for small values of "work"
--- one problem is that you get byte-by-byte sorting which doesn't act
all that sensibly in a lot of encodings, and another is that
upper()/lower() only work for the base ASCII letters.

I gather that this behavior is just fine with a lot of the Far Eastern
contingent, though you'd have to ask them for details.  In any case
you should not second-guess such a configuration during upgrade.
People do use it.