Re: shared_buffers vs Linux file cache

От Glyn Astill
Тема Re: shared_buffers vs Linux file cache
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

availableto other applications.

>However, as shown in the following screenshots, The server (CentOS 6.6 64bit) has 64GB of RAM, and 'shared_buffer' is
setto 32GB, but the free+buffer+cache is 60GB.

>Shouldn't the maximum value for free+buffer+cache be 32GB ( 64 - 32)?
>Is 'shared_buffers' pre allocated to Postgres, and Postgres only?

I've not looked at the images, but I think you're getting PostgreSQL shared_buffers and the OS buffercache mixed up;
theyare not the same.

PostgreSQL shared_buffers is specific to postgres, whereas the OS buffercache will just use free memory to cache data
pagesfrom disk, and this is what you're seeing.

Some reading for you:
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/sag/html/buffer-cache.html

Glyn

От: Huan Ruan
Сообщение: shared_buffers vs Linux file cache
От: Jeff Janes
Сообщение: Re: shared_buffers vs Linux file cache