Re: Server side backend permanent session memory usage ?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Server side backend permanent session memory usage ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Day, David" <dday@redcom.com> writes:
> We have a server side function written in plpgsql called by the client side application. That fx does work that
includes
> Invoking a server side plpython2u function.
> If I repeat calling  this severer side logic/function outside our app from a a psql invoked connection and I monitor
> the memory growth on the backend side I see top reporting a  continual growth trend after each burst of invocations.
> The premise was that the issue of the repeated invocation of the python interpreter and/or the python function  use
ofa "subprocess" method
> does not cleanup correctly and this  accounts for the memory growth and system performance degradation.
> FreeBSD 10.1, postgres 9.5.3 or postgres 9.3.11, running on VM,  no relevant problems indicated in log files.

It'd be very useful to find out whether you can reproduce the leakage in
9.6beta (any beta release will do).  There are a couple of significant
fixes in plpython that might be relevant --- I'm looking at these in
particular:

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git&a=commitdiff&h=8c75ad436
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git&a=commitdiff&h=1d2fe56e4

We did not back-patch those changes because they seemed rather
invasive/risky compared to the value for average users.

If you still see misbehavior in 9.6, it'd be worth trying to extract
a self-contained example.