Re: massive quotes?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: massive quotes?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'm also wondering why the backend need have anything at all to do with
>> an improved function-definition mode.  If you look in the archives you
>> will see speculation about inventing psql backslash commands that would
>> assist in entering raw function definitions by taking something you type
>> and suitably quotifying it.

> This would suit my needs, as I use psql to do my db setup. But it would
> introduce a possible disconnect between psql and other interfaces, e.g.
> pgadmin, wouldn't it? Might it not be better to do something that was at
> least available to all clients, rather than make them all have to do
> their own quote escaping?

What makes you think that a COPY-based interface would be especially
convenient for other frontends?  In my mind this is entirely a
user-interface matter, and as such is best solved at the user interface.
psql has one set of needs, but a GUI app has totally different ones.
I believe phpPgAdmin and so forth already have their own solutions to
the quoting problem, anyway.