Re: [GENERAL] Re: [PHP3] Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison

От Michael Widenius
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Re: [PHP3] Re: PostgreSQL vs Mysql comparison
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi!

<cut>

Bruce> The point I was trying to make was that the chart was promoted as being
Bruce> an unbiased comparison, and I didn't think it was unbiased.  In fact,
Bruce> they call it crashme, and in fact seem to avoid tests that crash MySQL,
Bruce> while leaving in things that crash PostgreSQL.  Makes us look bad.

I think you have missed the whole idea of crash-me!

It uses standard SQL to test for functionality in a SQL server.  If
any database fails in these tests, we report it.  You are saying that
if postgreSQL has bugs we should not report it?

crash-me is not used to find bugs, but due to the nature of how
crash-me works to find limits, it will find bugs in bad code (in most
cases in code that doesn't check for overruns).  If this makes you
look bad, then you have deserved it!  (Sorry no offense)

We here at TCX also uses crash-me as a tool to test each MySQL
distribution to check for bugs.  This will of course make MySQL much
more safer.  That you don't do this one each postgreSQL versions is
your loss (crash-me is GPL, so I can't understand why you shouldn't do it).

Bruce> However, this is an old recollection, and I see on the current page that
Bruce> this is no longer the case.  The current page looks much better, though
Bruce> somehow you show PostgreSQL doesn't have HAVING or support -- comments.
Bruce> However, I realize such a test is a major project, and you are not going
Bruce> to get everything right.

Luuk, could you please check out why crash-me misses HAVING and
--comments.   (Normally this means that the database in question
doesn't follow ANSI SQL in regards to this).

Bruce> Still, such comparisons are by nature biased.  If you have ten features,
Bruce> and we have ten features, and we only have two features in common, a
Bruce> biased comparison is going to show you has having ten features, and us
Bruce> only having two features, with no mention of the eight features we have
Bruce> that you don't have.

Bruce> I actually find such charts to be fairly useless in most cases when
Bruce> comparing cars, radios, etc.  I prefer a short paragraph summarizing the
Bruce> major differences in the radios.

Note that a comparison, like crash-me, that compares how a database
compares to a standard can never be useless!

I agree that crash-me also tests database specific functions/types, but we
try to restrict these to types/functions that are of major use or are common
to many database.  This will help persons that are trying to port an
application between databases.

Regards,
Monty