Re: Pg_dump Backup Drops a Few Things

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Pg_dump Backup Drops a Few Things
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Today I just got done with a very painful restore.  PG_dump had failed to back
> up a small view on which 6 other views and functions depended, and I had to
> spend several hours editing the 99mb backup file by hand.

Urgh.

> I'd like to work with someone on pinpointing the problem, as obviously this
> could be a critical issue for production databases.   However, I'm not sure
> how to submit the files as they are very large (> 90mb) and how can I send
> the original database not as a backup file?

Mailing around 90mb of data seems painful, and in any case the dump will
not show the cause of the problem.

Do you still have the original database available?  The obvious route to
finding the problem is to watch pg_dump in action and see why it misses
that view.  How do you feel about letting someone else have access to
your system to do this?  (Or get out a debugger and do it yourself...)