Re: pg_type_d.h location incorrect

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: pg_type_d.h location incorrect
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
"tanghy.fnst@fujitsu.com" <tanghy.fnst@fujitsu.com> writes:
> Attached a patch to fix the incorrect location description of pg_type_d.h posted by myself at [1].

I don't particularly find that to be an improvement.  In the first
place, it's somewhere between unhelpful and flat out wrong for
people on Windows, where the backtick notation doesn't work (AFAIK).
In the second, it will distract almost every user, who will need
to stop for a second or two to think about what context they would
use backticks in, and about what pg_config is, and whether the right
pg_config is even in their $PATH, and about why --pkgincludedir is
the right switch.  If they don't already have a bunch of those facts
swapped in, it will take a lot longer than a second or two to figure
out what is meant here.  That seems completely out of proportion to
the value of having this passing mention be pedantically correct.

Maybe it'd be better to just refer to "catalog/pg_type_d.h", which
is the approved way to spell it in #include directives, and leave
it to users who actually care to figure out where that is in their
filesystems.  I see from the git history that we've tried a few
different variations on trying to be more precise than that, and
they've apparently all been failures.

Сообщение: RE: pg_type_d.h location incorrect
Сообщение: RE: pg_type_d.h location incorrect