Migrating a FoxPro system and would like input on the best way to achieve optimal performance

От TonyS
Тема Migrating a FoxPro system and would like input on the best way to achieve optimal performance
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
I have a system that I am needing to convert from FoxPro files being accessed
with DAO to PostgreSQL.

This system serves 1,000 clients and will be expanding to 2,000 within the
next 18 months.

The current system has a directory with files that contain information of a
global nature such as the list of clients, list of users and which client
they belong to, etc. Then each client has files within their own directory
to keep the size of the tables manageable. Each client has 165 tables. These
tables are all the same definition across the different groups.

I have been trying to determine the best way to define this system within
PostgreSQL.

I have considered partitioning tables, but if I am correct that would result
in 330,000 files and I am not certain if that will cause an issue with
degraded file system performance.

Is it possible to create a tablespace for each group and then create
partitioned tables for the groups within the group's tablespace to limit the
number of files in a directory? I plan on utilizing the built-in streaming
replication, so I assume if I went the tablespace route I would need to
create directories for all future groups from the outset since creating them
individually with code on the backup systems would be difficult.

Another option would be placing an extra field in each table identifying the
group it belongs to and combining all of the separate tables of the same
definition into one table. This would result in some tables having 300
million entries currently and that would climb over the next 18 months.

The final option I can see is creating a schema for each of the different
clients. I am not certain if this is a better option than partitioned
tables. I haven't been able to determine if schema objects are stored in a
sub directory or if they are in the same directory as all of the other
tables. If they are in the same directory then the same issue arises as the
partitioned tables.

Of course, I am certain there are a number of other possibilities that I am
overlooking. I am just trying to determine the best way to move this over
and get things into a more modern system.