Re: text fields and performance for ETL

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: text fields and performance for ETL
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Grega Jesih <Grega.Jesih@actual-it.si> writes:
> It matters a lot. It means time saving. Plenty of time. So we're talking performance. Not postgres performance,
interfaceperformance.

One more time: our docs are here to explain Postgres performance.
It is very easy to show that char/varchar are strictly worse than
text so far as Postgres is concerned.  Other tools need to document
their own performance considerations in their own docs.

Now, if you have a *semantic* consideration, like "a state abbreviation
should be exactly two characters", those datatypes might help you
with enforcing that.  But that's not a performance consideration.

Сообщение: Re: text fields and performance for ETL
Сообщение: RE: text fields and performance for ETL