Re: PSQL/pgAdmin - Column Completion

От dvlsg
Тема Re: PSQL/pgAdmin - Column Completion
Дата
Список pgsql-general
The majority of my query writing is done in pgAdmin, not psql. I do tend to
type out the from/where/join/whatever portion of the statement before
finishing the select portion of the statement (starting with a SELECT * and
replacing it once the rest of the query is in place). Fair enough, though --
I am probably in the minority there.

However, what about a statement like this?

SELECT *
FROM public.TableA a
WHERE a.Column1 > 50;

Simplified again, of course, but the autocomplete of a column would come
after a table/alias declaration. As to the joins, other applications I have
used are capable of autocompleting the columns in the ON portion in the
following query.

SELECT *
FROM public.table_a a
INNER JOIN public.table_b b
  ON a.table_a_id = b.table_a_id

I'm not saying it's a deal breaker, or the end of the world, or anything
like that. It seems like that sort of query parsing is considerably outside
the functionality of the existing autocomplete code, and may not be worth
the extra work / overhaul. I will concede that it's a minor inconvenience
for only a portion of the userbase at worst. Just voicing a curiosity.