Re: Speaking of pgstats

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Speaking of pgstats
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Magnus Hagander" <mha@sollentuna.net> writes:
> While we're talking about pgstats...  There was some talk a while back
> about the whole bufferer/collector combination perhaps being unnecessary
> as well, and that it might be a good idea to simplify it down to just a
> collector. I'm not 100% sure what the end result of that discussion was,
> thouhg, and I can't find it in the archives :-(

After a bit of archives-digging, I think you must be remembering this
thread:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-01/msg00074.php
which was considering not only abandoning the intermediate buffer
process, but abandoning the assumption that it's OK to drop messages
under load.  We might or might be ready to go that far, but it's worth
re-reading and reflecting --- see particularly Jan's comment at
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-01/msg00088.php