Re: eXtreme PostgreSQL using system catalogs (was Turning off triggers ?)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: eXtreme PostgreSQL using system catalogs (was Turning off triggers ?)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Chris Gamache <cgg007@yahoo.com> writes:
> There seems to be a TON of functionality accessable by querying and updating
> the system catalogs directly...

Querying, sure ... updating, well, it's pretty easy to shoot yourself in
the foot.  I have been seen to recommend solutions that involve manual
catalog updates, but I always ask what version you're running first ;-)
The catalogs get revised for every version, to a greater or lesser
extent.

> Is this a skill reserved only for the eXtreme postgresql hackers, or can
> (should!) mere mortals be given the understanding to push postgresql to its
> limits?

If you're willing to commit to keeping the document updated across multiple
PG versions, go for it.