Optimal checkpoint_setting

От pinker
Тема Optimal checkpoint_setting
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello All,
I have a brand new machine to tune:
x3750 M4, 4xE5-4640v2 2.2GHz; 512GBRAM (32x16GB), 4x300GB
SAS + SSD (Easy Tier) in RAID 10

What's particularly important now is to choose optimal configuration for
write operations. We have discussion about checkpoint_segments and
checkpoint_timeout parameters. Test, which was based on pg_replay, has shown
that the biggest amount of data is written when checkpoint_segments are set
to 10 000 and checkpoint_timeout to 30 min, but I'm worrying about amount of
time needed for crash recovery. On the other hand it's mighty machine :) and
I don't wanna go back with 30 segments.

I'd appreciate any helpful remark on that.

The rest of parameters from the test:
shared_buffers=2GB
temp_buffers=128MB
max_files_per_process=500