Re: making update/delete of inheritance trees scale better

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: making update/delete of inheritance trees scale better
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> writes:
> .... But if you do:

> postgres=# explain verbose update tab set a = 1, b = 2;
>                                     QUERY PLAN
>   Update on public.tab  (cost=0.00..269603.27 rows=0 width=0)
>     ->  Seq Scan on public.tab  (cost=0.00..269603.27 rows=10028327
> width=14)
>           Output: 1, 2, ctid

> The Modify Table will still fetch the old tuple, but in this case, it's
> not really necessary, because both columns are overwritten.

Ah, that I believe.  Not sure it's a common enough case to spend cycles
looking for, though.

In any case, we still have to access the old tuple, don't we?
To lock it and update its t_ctid, whether or not we have use for
its user columns.  Maybe there's some gain from not having to
deconstruct the tuple, but it doesn't seem like it'd be much.