Re: SPI & file locations

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: SPI & file locations
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> /lib/cpp -M -I. -I../backend executor/spi.h |xargs -n 1|grep \\W|grep -v ^/|grep -v spi.h | sort |cpio -pdu
$RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/include/pgsql

> This could easily enough be included in the make install, couldn't it?
> (Tom?  Anyone?)  I realize that GNU grepisms (or is \W common?) are
> used above,

That's just the tip of the iceberg of the portability problems in the
above.  If you want to propose that we actually do something like that
during 'make install', you're gonna have to work a lot harder.
(However, as a non-portable trick for getting a list of files that need
to be included in a hand-generated makefile, it's not bad.)

The more serious problem is "what else might an SPI module need besides
spi.h".  Also, it disturbs me a lot that spi.h pulls in 80+ include
files in the first place --- there's got to be stuff in there that
needn't/shouldn't be exported.  I know that an SPI developer who's just
trying to get some work done couldn't care less, but I'd like to see us
make some effort to actually clean up the list of files to be exported,
rather than fall back on automation that will let the list bloat even
more without anyone much noticing...