Re: Perfomance degradation 9.3 (vs 9.2) for FreeBSD

От David G Johnston
Тема Re: Perfomance degradation 9.3 (vs 9.2) for FreeBSD
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Stephen Frost wrote
> * Alfred Perlstein (

> alfred@

> ) wrote:
>> On 4/21/14, 12:47 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
>> >  Asking for help to address the FreeBSD performance would have
>> >been much better received. Thanks, Stephen
>>
>> That is exactly what I did, I asked for a version of postgresql that
>> was easy to switch at runtime between two behaviors.
>>
>> That would make it a LOT easier to run a few scripts and make sure I
>> got the correct binary without having to munge PREFIX and a bunch of
>> PATH and other tools to get my test harness to DTRT.
>
> I'm sure one of the hackers would be happy to provide you with a patch
> to help you with your testing.
>
> That's quite a different thing from asking for a GUC to be provided and
> then supported over the next 5 years as part of the core release, which
> is what I believe we all thought you were asking for.

Alfred,

Are you willing and use a custom 9.3 installed from source or are you asking
for something to actually be released to the wild before you go and test it
- your comments are unclear on this point?

The technical consensus is that the more desirable approach is to have the
determination done at compile-time since - besides testing - no obvious
reason exists that a user, once they have determined the correct option for
their platform, would find reason to change it.  Yes, it adds another player
to the game (unless you install from source), but the community is already
structured to rely upon packagers to do the right thing for their platform
so that the amount of customization presented to the user can be minimized.

In short, the goal is to have GUCs limited to work-mix, not platform,
configuration; and definitely not for platform testing purposes.  If you are
going to be testing platform performance it seems to be expected that you
have the ability to compile and alter source code.  This may indeed limit
the potential number of testers but it does add efficiency to the process
because the testers can make patches.

David J.