Re: Clock sweep not caching enough B-Tree leaf pages?

От David G Johnston
Тема Re: Clock sweep not caching enough B-Tree leaf pages?
Дата
Re: Clock sweep not caching enough B-Tree leaf pages?  (Jim Nasby <jim@nasby.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Jim Nasby-2 wrote
>> I feel that if there is no memory pressure, frankly it doesnt matter much
>> about what gets out and what not. The case I am specifically targeting is
>> when the clocksweep gets to move about a lot i.e. high memory pressure
>> workloads. Of course,  I may be totally wrong here.
>
> Well, there's either memory pressure or there isn't. If there isn't then
> it's all moot *because we're not evicting anything*.

The trade-off I'm seeing here is between measuring when there is no memory
pressure - and thus eating at performance while not actually evicting
buffers - and not measuring but then encountering memory pressure and not
having a clue as to what should be evicted.

David J.