Re: Add force option to dropdb

От salah jubeh
Тема Re: Add force option to dropdb
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }
Hello Robert,

>I'm not particularly in favor of implementing this as client-side
>functionality, because then it's only available to people who use that
>particular client.  Simon Riggs proposed a server-side option to the
>DROP DATABASE command some time ago, and I think that might be the way
>to go.

Could you please direct me -if possible- to the thread. I think,implementing it on the client side gives the user the some visibility and control. Initially, I wanted to force drop the database, then I have changed it to kill connections. I think the change in the client tool, is simple and covers the main reason for not being able to drop a database. I think, killing client connection is one of the FAQs.

OTOH, having an option like "DROP DATABASE [IF EXISTS, FORCE] database" is more crisp. However, what does "force" mean?  many options exist such as killing the connections gently, waiting for connections to terminate, killing connections immediately. Also, as Alvaro Herrera mentioned, DROP OWNED BY and/or REASSIGNED OWNED BY might hinder the force option -an example here would be nice-. So, for quick wins, I prefer the kill option in the client side; but, for mature solution , certainly back-end is the way to proceed.

Regards