Re: Fixing bug #8228 ("set-valued function called in context that cannot accept a set")

От David Johnston
Тема Re: Fixing bug #8228 ("set-valued function called in context that cannot accept a set")
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
David Johnston wrote

> Tom Lane-2 wrote
>> I kinda forgot about this bug when I went off on vacation:
>> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/

>> E1UnCv4-0007oF-Bo@.postgresql

> Just to clarify:
>
> This patch will cause both executions of the example query to fail with
> the "set-valued function..." error.
>
> Also, the reason the "::varchar" one did not fail was because not cast
> function was ever called but the "::varchar(30)" forced a function call
> and thus prompted the error when the second record and resultant
> regexp_matches expression was encountered.
>
> Thanks!
>
> David J.

Sorry for the imprecise English.  I believe both of the following items but
would like confirmation/clarification of my understanding.

The whole "varchar/varchar(30)" discrepancy is bothersome and since the
example forces a function-call via the use of "lower(...)", and doesn't test
the non-function situation, I am concerned this patch is incorrect.

If the first item is not true, i.e. this patch makes both alternatives work,
then I think the wrong "solution" was chosen - or at least not fully vetted.

David J.