Re: Re: In-core regression tests for replication, cascading, archiving, PITR, etc. Michael Paquier

От Mark Dilger
Тема Re: Re: In-core regression tests for replication, cascading, archiving, PITR, etc. Michael Paquier
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I was already starting to consider making the chroot logic optional, based on the resistence expressed by folks on this thread.

How about the following:

During the configure phase, it checks for chroot and setuid and friends that it will need.

The regression suite has config parameters to specify where the chroot directories are to live, defaulting to something sensible.

We have two almost identical make targets, called something like 'replicationcheck' and 'sudofullreplicationcheck', and only do the chroot stuff if uid=0, the directories exist, and the bind mounts exist, and the make target was the 'sudofullreplicationcheck'.  The tablespace tests would have to be optional, only running in the full test and not the non-full test, and that makes some complications with having two different expectations (in the sense of the results/ vs. expected/ directories).

I'm inclined to change the name of the tests from 'replicationtest' or 'replicationcheck' to something broader like 'clustercheck', owing to the expectation that more than replication could be tested in this framework.  The "sudofull" prefix is just a placefiller -- I don't like that naming convention.  Not sure about the name to use.

mark

On Monday, January 6, 2014 10:17 AM, David Johnston <polobo@yahoo.com> wrote:
Andres Freund-3 wrote
> On 2014-01-06 09:12:03 -0800, Mark Dilger wrote:
>> The reason I was going to all the trouble of creating
>> chrooted environments was to be able to replicate
>> clusters that have tablespaces.  Not doing so makes
>> the test code simpler at the expense of reducing
>> test coverage.
>
>> I am using the same binaries.  The chroot directories
>> are not "chroot jails".  I'm intentionally bind mounting
>> out to all the other directories on the system, except
>> the other clusters' data directories and tablespace
>> directories.  The purpose of the chroot is to make the
>> paths the same on all clusters without the clusters
>> clobbering each other.
>
> I don't think the benefit of being able to test tablespaces without
> restarts comes even close to offsetting the cost of requiring sudo
> permissions and introducing OS dependencies. E.g. there's pretty much no
> hope of making this work sensibly on windows.
>
> So I'd just leave out that part.

Only skimming this thread but even if only a handful of buildfarm animals
can run this extended test bundle because of the restrictive requirements it
is likely better than discarding them altogether.  The main thing in this
case is to segregate out this routine so that it has to be invoked
explicitly and ideally in a "ignore if pre-reqs are missing" manner.

Increasing the likelihood and frequency of test runs in what is a fairly
popular platform and that covers non-OS specific code as well has benefits.
As long at it doesn't poison anything else I don't see that much harm coming
of it.

David J.