Re: ECPG Semantic Analysis

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: ECPG Semantic Analysis
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> On Fri, Jun 23, 2023 at 12:21:48AM -0400, Juan Rodrigo Alejandro Burgos Mella wrote:
>> I have a modified version of ECPG, to which I gave the ability to do
>> semantic analysis of SQL statements. Where can you share it or with whom
>> can I discuss it?

> I cannot say what kind of problem this solves and/or if this is useful
> as a feature of the ECPG driver in PostgreSQL core itself, but you
> could consider submitting a patch for integration into core.

TBH I'd have to discourage you from expecting that such a patch would
be accepted.  ECPG is pretty much of a development backwater nowadays.
We keep maintaining it because it's (mostly) not too much trouble
thanks to the work that was done years ago to auto-generate its
grammar from the main grammar.  However, adding any sort of semantic
analysis to it seems like it'd take an enormous amount of new C code
that would then have to be kept in sync (by hand) with the backend
parser.  Testing such a thing seems like a big time sink as well.
I seriously doubt that we'd be willing to take on such a maintenance
burden.