Re: [HACKERS] Unportable implementation of background worker start

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Unportable implementation of background worker start
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 2017-04-20 00:50:13 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> My first reaction was that that sounded like a lot more work than removing
>> two lines from maybe_start_bgworker and adjusting some comments.  But on
>> closer inspection, the slow-bgworker-start issue isn't the only problem
>> here.

> FWIW, I vaguely remember somewhat related issues on x86/linux too.

After sleeping and thinking more, I've realized that the
slow-bgworker-start issue actually exists on *every* platform, it's just
harder to hit when select() is interruptable.  But consider the case
where multiple bgworker-start requests arrive while ServerLoop is
actively executing (perhaps because a connection request just came in).
The postmaster has signals blocked, so nothing happens for the moment.
When we go around the loop and reach
           PG_SETMASK(&UnBlockSig);

the pending SIGUSR1 is delivered, and sigusr1_handler reads all the
bgworker start requests, and services just one of them.  Then control
returns and proceeds to
           selres = select(nSockets, &rmask, NULL, NULL, &timeout);

But now there's no interrupt pending.  So the remaining start requests
do not get serviced until (a) some other postmaster interrupt arrives,
or (b) the one-minute timeout elapses.  They could be waiting awhile.

Bottom line is that any request for more than one bgworker at a time
faces a non-negligible risk of suffering serious latency.

I'm coming back to the idea that at least in the back branches, the
thing to do is allow maybe_start_bgworker to start multiple workers.
Is there any actual evidence for the claim that that might have
bad side effects?