Re: [HACKERS] RustgreSQL

От Jan de Visser
Тема Re: [HACKERS] RustgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Monday, January 9, 2017 7:06:21 AM EST Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 9 Jan. 2017 05:51, "Jan de Visser" <jan@de-visser.net> wrote:
>
> On Sunday, January 8, 2017 6:28:17 AM EST Joel Jacobson wrote:
> > I don't want to learn the complicated details of C, that's true.
>
> And this is where I think you're wrong, and why conversion would be hard. C
> has very few complicated details. I don't think it has any, frankly.
>

> Oh, that's really rather optimistic.

[snip]

Allow me to be snarky and summarize your (very true) points as: "writing
complicated software systems is hard".

That's not the fault of the language (in most cases). The complexity can
somewhat be abstracted by the language, which Rust and Java try to do, or
completely left to the design, as you're forced to do in C. The former gives
you either a more complicated language or severly limit what you can do, and
in the end you will find walls to bang your head against and edges of cliffs to
fall off of.

The latter, of course, makes your head explode if your system is large enough
and you don't have Tom Lane and Robert Haas around.