Re: RFC: programmable file format for postgresql.conf

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: RFC: programmable file format for postgresql.conf
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2013-12-05 at 00:51 +0100, Álvaro Hernández Tortosa wrote:
> In return for this extra information, we:
>
> - Provide users with more help (information) to help them configure
> postgres (which is no easy task, specially for newcomers).
>
> - Help and encourage app developers to create both GUI tools for
> easier
> postgresql configuration and automatic or semi-automatic
> configuration
> tools.
>
> - Make it way easier to change postgresql parameters persistently from
> SQL connection.
>
>         The tradeoff seems quite positive to me. I see no strong
> reasons why
> not do it... am I missing something?

I don't buy your argument.  You say, if we make this change, those
things will happen.  I don't believe it.  You can *already* do those
things, but no one is doing it.

But if we make this change, existing users will be inconvenienced,
whereas the expected benefits are very much in doubt.  Again, this is
postgres --describe-config all over again.