Re: Extension Templates S03E11

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: Extension Templates S03E11
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2013-11-30 at 01:05 -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:
> Unless I'm missing something, I'd be inclined to just get rid of the
> concept of DEFAULT FULL VERSION just to keep the documentation simpler
> without losing any real functionality.

I found some explanation of the original reasoning in these threads:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA
+Tgmoae3Qs4QbQfxOUzZFxRSxA0zy8ibSOYSuuTzDUMPeAkAg@mail.gmail.com
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/m2622fy43s.fsf@2ndQuadrant.fr
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/m2k44m9oyo.fsf@2ndQuadrant.fr

It seems like it's for pg_dump, so it can avoid outputting the extension
templates and just say "VERSION 'x.y'" without worrying about which
version it needs to start from.

That seems like a legitimate purpose, but I think we can come up with
something that's a little easier on users and easier to document (and
name). Perhaps just find the shortest upgrade path to the version
requested (using some arbitrary but deterministic tiebreaker)?

Regards,Jeff Davis