Re: contrib module v 8.4 into 8.3.6 db

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: contrib module v 8.4 into 8.3.6 db
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Isabella Ghiurea <isabella.ghiurea@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:

> We are in need to use citext -case insensitive module from
> /contrib , we are running psql 8.3.6, would be safe to install
> the whole contrib package from 8.4.2 into this old version of
> PGdb
>
> How about installing only citext package from 8.4.2 module into
> PG 8.3.6 will this work ?

As long as you are comfortable building from source, it shouldn't
be too hard to get things working; dropping in executable from
different major releases is not likely to work.

You probably should read this page, though:

http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/

The bug fix level of the 8.4 release that you are using is missing
almost four years of fixes for bugs and security vulnerabilities.
The 8.3 version has hit end of life; it is no longer supported.  It
also is missing about four years of fixes which had been made
available before it hit EOL.  Bug fix (minor) releases can be
applied without any conversion effort, and with very low risk of
any compatibility problems.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com