Re: Need help how to manage a couple of daily DB copies.

От Vincent Veyron
Тема Re: Need help how to manage a couple of daily DB copies.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Le vendredi 25 octobre 2013 à 04:50 +0200, Andreas a écrit :

> well, not quite
>
> We are not talking about files but databases within the db server.
>
> Lets keep 3 copies total
>
> the idea is to start with the database db_test today (2013/10/24)
> 2013/10/25:   rename  db_test  to  db_test_13025  and import the latest
> dump into a new db_test
> 2013/10/26:   rename  db_test  to  db_test_13026 ... import
> 2013/10/27:   rename  db_test  to  db_test_13027 ... import
> 2013/10/28:   rename  db_test  to  db_test_13028 ... import
> Now we've got db_test and 4 older copies.
> Find the oldest copy and drop it.   -->   drop db_test_131025
>
> or better every day drop every copy but the 3 newest.
>
> and so on
>
> this needs to be done by an external cron script or probaply by a
> function within the postgres database or any other administrative database.
>
> The point is to give the assistant a test-db where he could mess things up.
> In the event he works longer than a day on a task his work shouldn't be
> droped completely when the test-db gets automatically replaced.

I assume db_test is created from a dump file? if that's the case, and if
your system allows it,  using logrotate on the dump is very
straithforward; e.g. to rotate an archive everyday, keeping a weekly
archive over 52 two weeks, simply create the
file /etc/logrotate.d/myapp :

#Create rotation for myapp's backups
/var/backups/myapp/myapp.gz {
    weekly
    missingok
    rotate 52
    notifempty
}

--
                                        Salutations, Vincent Veyron

http://marica.fr/site/demonstration
Gestion des contentieux juridiques, des contrats et des sinistres d'assurance