Re: updated emacs configuration

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: updated emacs configuration
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 10:40:10PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> TBH I'm not sure we should be changing pgindent at this late date, even if
>> there is a good fix for its minor annoyances.  When you changed its wrap
>> behavior in 8.1, I spent the next several years cursing that decision
>> every time I had to back-patch something, because it caused apply failures
>> for just about every nontrivial patch.  Doing what we're talking about
>> here would be just as bad.

> Would you like to see how many comments get changed by the adjustment?
> Could we run it in all back branches, perhaps only on C comments?

Hm.  Reindenting the active back branches would fix the back-patching
issue, but it would also be a pain in the rear for anybody carrying
out-of-tree patches; which is probably the majority of our packagers.

On the third hand, updating such patches would only be a one-time
chore (as long as we fix pgindent only *once*, not anytime the mood
strikes us), so maybe it wouldn't be impossible.  Especially if we
constrain ourselves to just fixing tabs vs. spaces, so that "patch
--ignore-whitespace" could be used to apply old patches.