Re: Urgent Help Required

От David Johnston
Тема Re: Urgent Help Required
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Adrian Klaver-3 wrote
> On 10/08/2013 03:55 AM, shailesh singh wrote:
>> I had got this message while running vacuum full from backend . Now My
>> database is not starting , Help pls.
>>
>> backend> vacuum full debug;
>> WARNING:  database "debug" must be vacuumed within 999999 transactions
>> HINT:  To avoid a database shutdown, execute a full-database VACUUM in
>> "debug".
>> ERROR:  relation "debug" does not exist
>

>> Now what?
>
> First some information.
>
> 1) What version of Postgres are you using?
>
> 2) Does database debug in fact exist or not?
>     In other words does it show up with \l in psql?
>
> Also it not necessary to use FULL with the VACUUM.
>

>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Shailesh Singh

From the documentation:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/sql-vacuum.html

"With no parameter, VACUUM processes every table in the current database
that the current user has permission to vacuum. With a parameter, VACUUM
processes only that table."

Since you must be connected to a database to issue VACUUM to specify which
database would be redundant.  Your specification of "debug" in the above
command was not taken to be a database but rather a relation/table.

The basic steps are:

1) connect to the "debug" database.
2) issue the command  "VACUUM" with no parameters

The reason for the error is that transaction id wraparound is on the verge
of occurring.  After having solved the immediate problem by manually
vacuuming you should try and describe to us why it is the auto-vacuum
service has failed to vacuum the debug database in time to prevent the
warning.

The immediate solution will work on any version but the cause analysis will
require knowing the PostgreSQL versions, its configuration, and basic usage
characteristics. Regardless, though, always provide version information when
asking for help.

David J.