Re: Major upgrade of PostgreSQL and MySQL

От Patrick Dung
Тема Re: Major upgrade of PostgreSQL and MySQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Noted and thanks.

I can see that it should be updated in the devel manual page:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/pgupgrade.html

Thanks,
Patrick

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>
To: Patrick Dung <patrick_dkt@yahoo.com.hk>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>; "pgsql-general@postgresql.org" <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>; Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>; Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
Sent: Saturday, October 5, 2013 10:19 PM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Major upgrade of PostgreSQL and MySQL

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 01:54:40AM +0800, Patrick Dung wrote:

> 1. In the past, I have an impression that it requires double of the database
> size.
> Because the manual present in a way that it 'must' need to hold the old and new
> database cluster.
> But it does not mention the benefit of using hard links to save disk space and
> speed.
> I think the documentation could put a note at the beginning for new users.
>
> 2. Also I think the documentation should provide more info for users that use
> packages.
> Most likely the system would do dependency checking and may refuse two install
> two versions at the same time.
> So uses need to install the new version in another location.
> More documentation should be provided for this part (e.g for users using Linux
> rpm/deb or FreeBSD ports).
>
> 3. But the way, if users is using Windows, is the link option still works?

I have applied the attached documentation addition to mention that link
mode uses less disk space, and that junction points are used on Windows.
Backpatched to 9.3.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                            http://enterprisedb.com

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: Major upgrade of PostgreSQL and MySQL