Re: Advice on defining indexes

От David Johnston
Тема Re: Advice on defining indexes
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
JORGE MALDONADO wrote
> If a table has a foreign key on 2 fields, should I also create an index
> composed of such fields?

Yes.

If you want to truly/actually model a foreign key the system will require
you to create a unique constraint/index on the "primary/one" side of the
relationship.

CREATE TABLE list ( lst_source, lst_date, FOREIGN KEY (lst_source, lst_date)
REFERENCES source (src_id, src_date) ...;

If a unique constraint (in this case I'd suggest primary key) does not exist
for source(src_id, src_date) the create table with the foreign key will
fail.

David J.