Re: Not In Foreign Key Constraint

От David Johnston
Тема Re: Not In Foreign Key Constraint
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Misa Simic wrote
> Hi hackers,
>
> I just wonder how hard would be to implement something like "Not In FK
> Constraint" or opposite to FK...

A more useful couple next sentences would be along the lines of:

I have this problem....I've approached it by doing....but it seems that an
actual database enforced constraint would be a better solution.  Is that
something that has been considered?  Are their other ways of attacking this
problem I have not considered?

You took quite a bit of time to try and start a discussion, and I get that
you don't necessarily know where it is going to lead, but "Not In FK
constraint", with a descriptive sentence of two, likely would have been
enough to get the ball rolling.  Instead you devoted more space to technical
clarification that would have been better served by espousing on "what
problem" and how current approaches to dealing with said problem are
limited.

A more specific end-question would also help solicit better responses.

I say all this because 3 days later nothing more substantial than "why is
this feature necessary" has been put forth.  The general idea likely has
some merit but you've not provided anything for people to hook their teeth
into.

David J.