Re: Any reason to have heap_(de)formtuple?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Any reason to have heap_(de)formtuple?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com> writes:
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2008, Kris Jurka wrote:
>> The problem with trying to deprecate it is that the vast majority of the
>> backend is still using the old interfaces, so people looking for
>> inspiration for their external modules will likely end up using the old
>> interface.  Like Alvaro I started this conversion a while ago, got
>> bored, and forgot about it. If people do want this conversion done while
>> keeping the old interface around, I can track down that patch, update it
>> and finish it up for the next CommitFest.

> Here's a patch that changes everything over to the the new API and
> implements the old API by calling the new API.

Applied with small corrections (I caught a couple of mistakes :-().

I notice that the SPI API is still largely dependent on the 'n'/' '
convention for null flags.  Now that there are not so many examples
of that in the core code, I think this poses a threat of serious
confusion for newbie writers of add-on modules.  Does anyone want to
look at cleaning that up?  I suppose we'd have to do it in much the
same way, adding new parallel functions and deprecating the old ones.