Re: decrease my query duration

От David Johnston
Тема Re: decrease my query duration
Дата
Список pgsql-general
David Carpio wrote
> Thank you for your time

You're not likely to get too many if any takers who want to try and decipher
that mess you call a query/explain.  Especially since you've made it pretty
much impossible to read by removing/obfuscating information.  It is not
self-contained and we have no idea what the goal of the query is without
actually reading it.  At minimum you should write a paragraph or two
describing your schema, problem, and what broadly you are trying to
accomplish with the supplied query.

My first instinct is that you table/schema layout simply sucks and that you
are going to have to either re-design that or put considerable effort into
manual caching or turn it into a function so that you can help the planner
out.

Ignore the whole "it runs too slowly" for the time being and create
self-contained example that at least runs and where the query can actually
be read.  In addition maybe try performing surgery on the query so that a
lot of the detail is removed without losing the structure.  That way you and
others can much more quickly view this modified query - even if it doesn't
run - and get a feel for what it is doing and how it goes about doing it.
You'd still need table definitions and sample data even for this.

The whole "I want help but I can't (or won't take the time to) actually tell
you what I am doing" position doesn't usually work for these kinds of
problems.

David J.