Re: Eliminating PD_ALL_VISIBLE, take 2

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: Eliminating PD_ALL_VISIBLE, take 2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 2013-06-30 at 22:58 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> I thought that Jeff withdrew this patch.

No -- was there a reason you thought that? I know it could use another
round of testing before commit, and there may be a couple other things
to clear up. But I don't want to invest a lot of time there right now,
because, as I understand it, you still object to the patch anyway.

I am still not entirely clear on the objections to this patch:

1. Contention was a concern, but I believe I have mitigated it. Strictly
speaking, additional pins may be acquired, but the cost of those pin
operations will be spread over a lot of other work.

2. There are quite a few different ideas about where we're going with
PD_ALL_VISIBLE and freezing, but it seems like removing PD_ALL_VISIBLE
is potentially compatible with most of them.

Any others?

The patch reduces code complexity and reduces writes during a data load.

Regards,Jeff Davis