Re: (Default) Group permissions

От David Johnston
Тема Re: (Default) Group permissions
Дата
Re: (Default) Group permissions  (Michael Orlitzky <michael@orlitzky.com>)
Список pgsql-general
John R Pierce wrote
> On 6/30/2013 12:46 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
>> We use Postgres for shared hosting; i.e. what most people use MySQL for.
>> The biggest headache for us so far has been that we're unable to get
>> group permissions set up effectively so that different groups of
>> customers, admins, apaches, etc. can access/modify the data they need,
>> without manual intervention from someone with root and a relatively deep
>> knowledge of the permissions system.
>
> 90% of shared hosting is one user one database, right?
>
>      CREATE USER username PASSWORD 'somepassword';
>      CREATE DATABASE username OWNER username;
>
> done.

So PostgreSQL is only useful, for shared hosting, when the only permissible
access is via vendor-supplied resources (APIs, administrators, etc...)?

With recent improvements in row-level security it seems that some desire
exists to make shared hosting (on a single instance) more useful; but this
is all for naught if you cannot get the permissions right.

I haven't looked into the OP's materials but my experience tells me that
either (or both) the permissions system is lacking some features or the
resources to get people to properly use the features is insufficient.

I'm hoping that this is all a case of humor just being difficult to
communicate in text since even if the OP is just mis-understood the
complaint is legitimate.  I'd look deeper by I'm likely in the same boat so
but I currently belong with the 90%.

David J.